A diamond is just a piece of charcoal that handled stress exceptionally well. – Unknown
Last summer I attended a Women’s Conference in Dallas, TX that focuses on helping women entrepreneurs to believe in themselves more, think bigger and up-level their businesses. While I was there, I had more creative ideas than I’ve had in months and was challenged by women on an hour to hour basis to define what I want to do, who I’m going to do it for and how I’m going to do it. It really was transformational for me!
If you’re like me, it’s fun to get excited about new ways to better your life. The problem is that I start to lose that momentum once I get back to my day-to-day routine. I start having negative thoughts and I feel like my goals were just a pipe dream. To get back on track, I’ve made a list of things that helped me revive that positive excitement and keep me moving in the right direction. Hopefully they can help you too!
- Remind yourself of why you want to do what you are trying to do. If you haven’t written it down, do that and then make a list of the reasons you want to quit smoking, lose weight, make more money, have a cleaner house, etc. Next, tell someone. When you write something down and then speak it aloud to someone else, it psychologically triggers a response in your brain that makes you feel accountable for your actions. Once your goals are named, you’ve made them real.
- Find someone that shares your excitement (either for themselves or for you) and make an appointment with them in person, over the phone or even on Skype. Whatever you use, just take the time to actually talk about your plans, review your goals, and talk about the exciting stuff in your life! Put it on the calendar. It gives a boost to what you want to do. Sometimes our negative self-talk can get the best of us. We forget that others think it’s a pretty good idea too and they can be your cheerleaders!
- Keep learning about whatever it is you want. When you seek out people, articles, and YouTube videos that are experts on your topic, it’s impossible not to keep the movement going. Your excitement will rise up like a volcano; you won’t be able to contain it!
- Remember you are the one that makes the decisions. You can say, “I am NOT going to let anyone or anything keep me from my dream.” You alone will make this a success or failure. Count on yourself to be the one that picks it up when the chips are down.
- Tell yourself over and over and over that you are not stupid or silly for wanting what you want. Paradigms we’ve learned from childhood have taught us to downplay our abilities. They’ve taught us not to brag or think we’re special. Preposterous! In fact, YOU ARE A BIG DEAL! Don’t let those little shame gremlins tell you that you aren’t enough, that you can’t or that you shouldn’t even dream it. Think like a women I recently met; her mantra is “I Am, I Can, I Will!” (Jennifer Wegner, President LAPW, Alexandria, MN)
- “Keep moving forward. It doesn’t matter if it is baby steps or leaps and bounds, keep the momentum moving in the direction of your goal. Progress has little to do with speed and much to do with direction.” – Unknown
7 Strategies to Magnify℠
The 7 MAGNIFY strategies help you steer your leadership journey personally and professionally to a place where you can manage and even THRIVE! Everything laid out here for you are steps, thoughts, quotes and approaches that have helped me guide people to LEAD better, LIVE bigger and LOVE their lives more!